Venue: ON Semiconductor, Greenwood House, London Road, Bracknell, RG12 2AA
Contact: Lizzie Rich 01344 352253
The minutes of the last meeting were approved as a correct record.
Arising from the minutes, the following points were noted:
· The ESDP thanked Campbell Christie who had left Bracknell and Wokingham College for his wonderful service to the Partnership as a member of the Partnership Board and as Chair of the Employment and Skills Sub Group.
· The Partnership thanked Nancy Lalor for arranging the presentation on the Heathrow consultation at the last meeting.
The Partnership discussed how meeting attendance could be improved at future meetings.
It was agreed that attendance was better when a topic of interest was promoted to a wider pool of contacts, and it was proposed that future meetings could be split into two parts; a topic of interest and general business. The following were proposed as items for future ESDP Board meetings:
· September 2018 – BID steering group update
· November 2018 - Town centre update
· January 2019 – the work of the LEP
Anneken Priesack commented that she would be presenting at a Breakfast meeting at the Coppid Beech Hotel and would promote the ESDP and its membership. Bob Collis would forward some ‘elevator pitch text’ to her for the presentation. (Action: Bob Collis)
The Partnership agreed that it was important to keep Bracknell and Wokingham College (now Activate Learning) on the Partnership’s membership in some form.
Previous Partnership events such as the Breakfast Forum, Chamber of Commerce events, and the Heathrow presentation had been successful, and more such events and joint events now needed to be planned.
The Partnership suggested that the ESDP should include a retail representative, and it was suggested that the Lexicon may assist with this area of recruitment.
It was agreed that Anneken, Andrew and Bob would discuss the matter of attendance and of ‘key topics’ and would present a note to the Partnership. (Action: Anneken Priesack/Bob Collis/Andrew Hunter)
2 Year Plan Review
The Partnership considered the 2 Year Plan Review and Bob Collis updated on the following areas on the Plan.
Item 3: Deliver Work-streams
Employment and Skills sub group
· The subgroup was losing momentum as there was no work stream update since Campbell Christie left
· The subgroup was currently without a Chair, following Campbell Christie’s leaving Bracknell & Wokingham College and significant changes at the College following the merge with Activate Learning.
· It was agreed that Activate Learning be approached and asked if they would like to continue their involvement with the Partnership
· Learning to Work volunteered their help to the group, as long as the purpose, objectives and outcome of the group were clear from the outset. Anneken agreed to send the Terms of Reference of the group to Nancy to discuss. (Action: Anneken/Nancy)
· Anneken agreed to approach the College regarding the agreed meeting dates for the group, to discuss with Learning to Work. (Action: Anneken)
Infrastructure sub group.
· The subgroup was functioning well, and Bob Collis continued as chair. There was a core of 5 or 6 members who attended regularly.
· The subgroup regularly meet in the Pegasus Office in the Columbia Building which is a good arrangement going forward.
· The workstream had been reviewed, but had not changed significantly.
Item 4: Enhance membership
It was proposed that a promotional press release with Newsquest local newspapers would rejuvenate the membership. Bob Collis agreed to contact Paul Thomas of Newsquest to arrange a regular feature for inclusion in the press around the theme of ‘Bracknell Means Business’. (Action: Bob Collis)
Item 5: Identify funding opportunities
The Partnership were working with the Local Authority to support funding opportunities through the joint Berkshire bid for A329 and A33 improvements.
Item 6: Provide Support for the BID
The Partnership resolved to continue supporting the BID.
Item 8: Communicate
Bob’s Blog continued, and the Partnership commented that it was a useful resource to communicate with the wider Partnership and contacts.
Bob Collis and Peter Smith agreed to consider a joint meeting between the ESDP and Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce in Spring 2019. (Action: Bob Collis/Peter Smith)
Bob Collis had been invited to speak with Gary Cranford, Economic Development officer at Wokingham Borough Council who was looking to establish a similar group in Wokingham. The Partnership welcomed this connection and were keen to work with any Partnership in Wokingham once established. (Action: Bob Collis)
Bob Collis suggested that an additional item for the 2 Year Plan Review might be ‘To hold two regular business events a year’ with topics suggested for each.
The Partnership also discussed how the ESDP might get involved and support plans relating to the local housing objective for the business community’s employees.
Bob Collis gave an update on the joint BFC/ESDP Photography Competition. Progress had been smooth and the competition was due to launch through the Parks and Countryside website and a press release due to go out in July to promote the competition. Simon Fryer would be on the judging panel, and the ESDP would sponsor the Business Growth category.
The competition required further sponsorship, and the Partnership were asked to propose any potential sponsors. (Action: all)
There were no further updates to the sub-groups additional to those given under the 2 Year Plan Review.
The Infrastructure Sub-Group had agreed to focus on journeys to work, and to look at how businesses could help to reduce congestion in Bracknell. Parking had been noted as an issue for businesses, however a Park and Ride facility was not viable at this time. There was a possible Park and Ride facility being created to serve Wokingham from the Coppid Beech, and it was suggested that if this was the case, this facility might serve Bracknell too. (Action: Bob Collis to raise with Gary Cranford)
Anneken Priesack and Bob Collis had attended the BID steering groups.
A BID Stakeholder Information Day had been proposed for 20 September 2018 at the 3M building. Businesses from the Western and Southern business areas would be invited to attend. The results of the BID survey would be available to identify the business needs of the area, and would have been presented to the BID steering group at the end of August.
Anneken and Bob agreed to update the Partnership on the progress and outcome of the survey. (Action: Bob/Anneken)
Peter Smith agreed to call a contact at Vodafone to discuss their involvement in the BID. (Action: Peter Smith)
Anneken Priesack updated the Panel on the Smart City project, which involved four Local Authorities releasing funding to businesses to develop Internet of Things devices. Further details would be provided as available.
Any Other Business
Bob Collis advised the Partnership that he had been invited by Activate Learning to give the ESDP’s views on their merge with Guildford College, but had not felt in a position to comment having no prior experience of Guildford College or Activate Learning. It was agreed that although the ESDP was not in a position to comment on the merge, Activate Learning would be encouraged to send a representative to the Partnership Board.
The Panel thanked David Burrows and ON Semiconductor for hosting the meeting and Kirstine Berry for taking the meeting notes.
Dates of Future Meetings
26 September 2018
20 November 2018
22 January 2018
19 March 2018
21 May 2018