Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To seek approval for the transfer of the
Buckler’s Park Community Hub and Facilities. CALA is seeking
to transfer the freehold of the community hub and associated
facilities (car parking, courts, orchard and allotments) to
Bracknell Forest Council under S106. The report provides the
options for the management of these facilities.
That the Executive Member of Culture, Delivery and Public Protection agrees that:
1. the council takes the freehold from CALA in a single transfer on 1 April 2022 (or soon thereafter) in accordance with S106 of the Buckler’s Park community hub with the adjacent courts, the associated car parking, allotments and landscaping (excluding SuDs and Orchard) within the site area as at Appendix 2.
2. management arrangements for the community hub, including courts, car parking, associated landscaping and allotments to be overseen by the Council’s Community Engagement and Parks and Countryside teams, through running a procurement exercise to find an operator.
3. a one-off contribution to be allocated for incentivising an operator of the facility towards their start-up cost plus a contribution for other ancillary BFC set up costs, as detailed in paragraph 5.31.
4. to engage with Crowthorne Parish Council (CPC) on the basis that the borough council could provide them with the one-off contribution (as noted in paragraph 2.1.3) to operate the new community hub via a medium to long term lease. CPC would be requested to make their decision within an eight-week period from the Executive decision date. If CPC decline taking on the management of the community hub the procurement exercise to find an operator will commence.
5. the due diligence for the property transfer and the operational arrangements stated above (paragraph 2.1.2) are delegated to the Executive Director: Place, Planning & Regeneration and Assistant Director: Chief Executive’s Office, respectively in consultation with the Lead Member for Culture, Delivery and Public Protection.
It was agreed by the Executive in September 2014 that the Council’s preferred policy for the development of the new community hubs is to transfer these into the ownership and management of the Parish and Town Councils. The Council has worked with Crowthorne Parish Council since 2016 on the development of the new community hub at Bucklers Park. The delivery of the hub was brought forward by the site developer (CALA Homes who have taken over the site from their parent company, Legal and General Homes) and the building and courts were completed in March 2021 rather than closer to 2025. The landscaping, planting, SuDs, orchard and allotments are to be completed with an anticipated completion in autumn 2022.
Detailed within the report
Reason Key: Expenditure > £400,000;
Wards Affected: Crowthorne;
Financial Impact: The Council will need to complete due diligence to receive the proposed asset along with setting up the provider model. The proposal requires an operational budget.
Subject to Urgent Proceedings: No
Making Representations: In writing to the Assistant Director: Chief Executive's Office/Executive Director Place, Planning and Regeneration.
Other reasons / organisations consulted
Meetings and email consultation with key
Crowthorne Parish Council
Contact: Abby Thomas, Assistant Director: Chief Executive's Office Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01344 353307.
Report author: Abby Thomas
Publication date: 19/10/2021
Date of decision: 19/10/2021
Decided at meeting: 19/10/2021 - Executive
Effective from: 27/10/2021