The Executive Member for Culture, Delivery and Public Protection is responsible for the following functions, to the extent that they comprise Executive Functions:
1. Overall performance and effective operation of the Resources Department (Democratic and Registration Services, Information and Communications Technology, Legal Services, Customer Services and Community Centres.)
2. The development and introduction of Information and Communications Technology and its use.
3. The Council’s powers under Sections 29 and 38 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.
4. The Council’s powers under Section 2 of the Local Government Act 2000 [the promotion of well-being.]
5. The provision, maintenance and development of leisure services and facilities – all the borough’s major built leisure facilities plus sports development.
6. Management and promotion of rights of way and recreational routes for the Borough.
7. Nature and Heritage Conservation – the conservation of the borough’s heritage and its appropriate promotion. Last updated: May 2019 – Part 2: Section 5
8. Biodiversity – the conservation and enhancement of the borough’s natural habitat and species.
9. Tourism information, initiatives and services.
10. Recreational Parks, Open Spaces and Countryside – management of land intended to be used for recreational and leisure purposes.
11. Tree management – the provision of tree advice and support services to land managers.
12. Measures to promote the health of Borough residents – including, but not limited to, keep fit, GP referrals and encouraging walking.
13. Arts and Cultural Activities – support South Hill Park.
14. The Coroner’s Service, Cemeteries and the Crematorium.
15. Overall performance of the Environment, Culture and Communities Department relating to those parts for which the Executive Member is responsible
16. Emergency Planning.
17. The formulation and implementation of the Safer Communities Strategy.
18. Liaison with the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service.
19. Liaison with the Thames Valley Police.
20. CCTV systems in public places.
21. Liaison with the Town and Parish Councils in the Borough.
22. Environmental standards including:-
· Food and safety control
· Control and monitoring of pollution and statutory nuisances
· Infectious disease and pest control
23. Trading standards including:-
· Weights and measures.
· Fair trading.
· Trade description.
· Consumer credit and safety.
· Consumer complaints.
24. Health and Safety including:-
· Health, safety and welfare of people at, or affected by, work.
· Promotion of health education and home safety.
25. Removal and disposal of abandoned vehicles
26. Any functions under any licensing legislation which are Executive Functions and which do not fall within the remit of any other Executive Member
27. The Library and Information Services.
28. To represent the Council on, and to liaise with, external organisations delivering services directly impacting on or related to the portfolio for which the Executive Member is responsible.