Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To set out the invest-to-save business case
for a 20-bedroom new supported living accommodation at the
Bridgewell site. Supported Living enables people with a learning
disability and/or autism to live independently, whether in shared
accommodation or in their own home. By investing in good quality
home styled accommodation, the Council will continue to demonstrate
its commitment to ensuring that people are supported to be
independent, resilient, physically and emotionally
RECOMMENDED to the Executive Member for Adult Services, Health and Housing that they:
1. Approve funding of £0.095m as detailed in paragraph 5.22 for detailed design fees to take forward a proposal to build a new, bespoke facility with 20 self-contained units on the Bridgewell site to enable people with learning disabilities to live independently in shared accommodation, which is estimated to save around £0.975m in revenue costs over the first 5 years of operation.
2. Note the specific requirements in paragraphs 5.23 – 5.27 pertaining to the potential grant from Homes England and agree to further explore the Homes England grant requirements for Option B (Council to build and thereafter appoint the providers) or Option C (To appoint a Registered Provider to build and operate) with a view to improving the financial position modelled in the business case attached as Appendix 2.
3. Approve the timetable set out in paragraph 5.28.
1. Approval of this project will lead to net revenue savings over the long term as a result of providing new fit for purpose accommodation, which will enable efficiency in the supported care delivery.
2. It is important to emphasise that without the new accommodation, a large cohort of vulnerable people will soon be living in accommodation not suited to their needs, or unable to be adapted to be suited to their needs. People have the right to suitable accommodation as well as independence.
Detailed with the confidential report.
Reason Key: Expenditure >£400,000 & Affects more than 1 ward.;
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Financial Impact: This project will lead to net revenue savings over the long term as a result of providing new fit for purpose accommodation, which will enable efficiency in the supported care delivery.
Subject to Urgent Proceedings: No
Making Representations: In writing to the Executive Director: People
Other reasons / organisations consulted
Meetings and email consultation with key
At the relevant stages, consultation will be
undertaken during the course of this project.
Contact: Rajesh Sinha, Blue Mountain Programme Manager Email: email@example.com Tel: 01344 354090.
Report author: Rajesh Sinha
Publication date: 25/01/2022
Date of decision: 25/01/2022
Decided at meeting: 25/01/2022 - Executive
Effective from: 02/02/2022