Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To provide an update on the progress of the
Blue Mountain Community and Health Care Hub scheme and the
supporting financial summary. The project is in partnership with
the Frimley Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). Planning Permission
was granted in July 2021. A decision is required to proceed to the
next stage of the project, which includes commencing the main works
and agreeing the provider options for the operation of the
community centre. The CCG is due to submit the full business case
to the NHS in September 2021 to secure funding for the health
provision; the full business case requires evidence of planning
permission along with a finalised scheme cost (based on the
contractor’s proposal). A procurement plan tailored to the
specific requirements of this project was approved by the Executive
in December 2019.
That the Executive Member of Culture, Delivery and Public Protection:
1. Notes the progress to date on the community centre and health & wellbeing hub in partnership with the Frimley Care Commissioning Group (CCG) and agree the timetable in paragraph 5.16.
2. Approves the community centre budget as per paragraph 5.5; the development cost of the health centre to be met by the CCG/NHS as noted in paragraph 5.11.
3. Agrees to forward fund (as per paragraph 5.5) in capital costs of the Health part of the building, on the basis that the consequent capital financing costs will be covered by any capital contributions secured by the CCG and/or the long-term rental income from the Health provider.
4. A one-off contribution to be allocated for incentivising an operator of the facility towards their start-up cost along with an allocation of other ancillary set up costs for the borough council as detailed in paragraph 5.11.
5. Agrees to engage with Binfield Parish Council (BPC) on the basis that the borough Council could provide them with the one-off contribution (as noted in paragraph 2.4) to operate the new community centre via a medium to long term lease. BPC would be requested to make their decision within an eight-week period from the Executive decision date.
6. Agrees that the management arrangements for the community centre are overseen by the Assistant Director Chief Executive’s Office by procuring an operator to lease and manage the centre, if BPC decline taking on the management of the community centre as set out in 2.5.
The Blue Mountain programme consists of Binfield Learning Village all-through school for 1851 pupils (operated as King’s Academy Binfield) and community centre required alongside 400 new homes at the Blue Mountain site. In the first phase, the Council has delivered the new school which opened in September 2018. In December, 2019 the Executive agreed to deliver the next phase which requires the Council to deliver the community hub. It was agreed to deliver the new facility in partnership with the Frimley Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) so as to include the GP practice along with other health and wellbeing services.
The proposed health and wellbeing centre is subject to NHS funding. If adequate funding is not provided, the health facility will not be affordable. In this event, the Council will still need to meet its legal obligation to provide a community centre at Binfield and as such may need to revise the scheme to deliver a standalone community centre..
Reason Key: Expenditure > £400,000;
Wards Affected: Binfield with Warfield;
Financial Impact: The Council has a legal obligation to provide community facilities at Blue Mountain. The proposal requires capital funding for the proposed new facilities including a contribution from the NHS.
Subject to Urgent Proceedings: No
Making Representations: In writing to the Executive Director: Place, Planning & Regeneration.
Other reasons / organisations consulted
Meetings and email consultation with key
Binfield Parish Council, Frimley CCG (and
health service providers via the CCG), Binfield Community
Contact: Andrew Hunter, Executive Director: Place, Planning & Regeneration Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01344 351907.
Report author: Andrew Hunter
Publication date: 19/10/2021
Date of decision: 19/10/2021
Decided at meeting: 19/10/2021 - Executive
Effective from: 27/10/2021