Purpose of committee
(Meetings are usually open to the public)
Terms of Reference
1. To advise the Council on the adoption of appropriate codes of conduct and protocols governing the ethical standards of the Members and officers of the Council.
2. To conduct periodic reviews of the Council's code of conduct, making recommendations for revision where appropriate.
3. To receive regular reports on the operation of the codes of conduct, in particular the numbers of matters referred to the Monitoring Officer under the code and how these have been discharged.
4. To consider and determine allegations against Members of the Council of misconduct, meaning a breach of the National Code of Local Government Conduct or of any code or protocol established locally by the Council or by the committee on its behalf, and to determine any sanctions it deems appropriate in the event of finding misconduct, within the terms of any convention on sanctions or any sanctions policy which may be adopted by the Council from time to time. All such matters shall be determined without reference to the Council.
5. To be responsible for liaison between the Council and external agencies, in particular the External Auditor and the Local Government Ombudsman, in connection with any matter concerning the ethical standards of the Council and its Members.
6. To oversee the provision of training and guidance to members and officers on the operation of the Council's code of conduct and on other matters within the terms of reference of the Committee.
- Gordon Anderson (Independent Members)
- David St John Jones (Independent Members)
- Mr Michael Squire (Independent Members)
- Heather Quillish (Independent Members)
- Councillor Mrs Amanda McLean Parish & Town Councils
- Councillor Jim Finnie
- Councillor Clifton Thompson
- Councillor Ms Tricia Brown
- Dr Louis Lee (Observer)
- Mr Elwyn Hopkin (Observer)
- County Archivist (Observer)
Support officer: Kirsty Hunt. 01344 353108
Fax: 01344 353251