Agenda and draft minutes

Local Safeguarding Children Board
Friday, 17 May 2019 9.30 am

Venue: Open Learning Centre, Rectory Road, Bracknell, RG12 7GR

Contact: Lizzie Rich  01344 352253

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes and Matters Arising

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 8 March 2019 were agreed as a correct record.

 

Arising from the minutes, the following points were noted:

  • While the Local Authority was planning to hold a Place Summit, it would not directly address concerns around vulnerable families being placed in residential units which had been converted from office blocks. This issue was being addressed across the whole Local Authority through its Corporate Management Team.
  • The CAMHS Emotional Health dataset working group was still in progress, and it was hoped that an update could be brought to the next Board. (Action: Alex Walters)
  • The Exploitation e-learning package had been discussed at Primary Heads Advisory Board (PHAB), and Paula agreed to collate feedback from headteachers and raise any arising issues. (Action: Paula Jenkins)
  • Jenny Daley agreed to pick up on any safeguarding concerns for pharmacists and dentists in Tania’s stead. (Action: Jenny Daley)
  • A CDOP Project Manager had been appointed to support transition work, and Jo Barnett had been appointed as the CCG’s CDOP Project Worker. The Board noted that the new CDOP arrangements would see a leaner approach.
  • The Board requested to see the presentation on transition which had been delivered at the Safeguarding Adults Partnership Board.

2.

Agency Updates

Minutes:

Christina Berenger reported that Thames Valley Police had restructured to devolve Criminal Investigation Departments from a central function into Local Policing Areas. It was hoped that this would improve capacity and would benefit the Local Policing Areas.

 

Councillor Gareth Barnard reported that following the recent election, the Conservative manifesto clearly outlined the priorities for Children and Young People’s Mental Health and Wellbeing.

 

Debbie Smith advised that the Safeguarding Education team had received Early Intervention funding from the Police and Crime Commissioner to deliver intensive work with secondary schools on County Lines. Sessions for 2,000 young people had been planned for November 2019, including sessions with Children Looked After and children who were Electively Home Educated.

 

Sonia Johnson reported a number of temporary leadership changes within Children’s Social Care. Mandeep Gill was the interim Head of Family Safeguarding following Mairead Panetta’s retirement. The Youth Offending Service had moved under Peter Hodge’s remit and Karen Roberts had resigned. Andrew Ellery was leading the Front Door programme, and Lou Richer was leading on Disability and Transition.

 

Sonia also advised that Children’s Social Care was moving into a geographical structure rather than Under and Over 11s teams. If any partner had any doubt about who to contact, the existing managers would be able to assist.

3.

Challenge Log 2019/20

Minutes:

The following updates were noted regarding the challenge log:

 

No 1: The LSCB noted work ongoing in respect of the children’s emotional wellbeing, dataset and the action was rolled forward. An update on the Local Transformation Plan was on today’s agenda.

 

No 3. Lucy Cooke had provided LADO referral data from BHFT to the LADO, and all partners were now assured that the correct data was being recorded and presented in performance data. Action completed.

 

No 4. LSCB training arrangements were being progressed but had slowed, and Jonathan was developing a job description and person specification with the Council’s HR team to recruit to this post. Philip Bell continued to support LSCB training arrangements and some additional training was being commissioned for 19/20.

 

No 6. Jenny Daley agreed to provide a further update report on the dentist/pharmacist safeguarding arrangements to the LSCB in Autumn 19.

 

No 7. A meeting of key individuals was planned to gather narrative to support performance data. It was noted that Thames Valley Police could provide force-wide performance narrative, and Christina arranged for this to be sent to Alison.

 

No 10. The policy around the use of CCTV cameras in community centres had been rewritten, and the lead officer for community centres was arranging data training on the issue. Jonathan agreed to check whether this training had taken place. (Action: Jonathan Picken)

 

No 12. The Board would request an update around appropriate housing of offenders in the borough in the Borough in Autumn 19. 

 

No. 13. It was noted that the feedback from schools had demonstrated some concerns around the consistency of experience of Operation Encompass in schools. Partners were reminded that notifications from Operation Encompass were different from that sent out by the MASH. The MASH notified the school whenever a domestic abuse incident took place within a pupil’s family, and Operation Encompass notified the school only where a pupil had been in the house at the time of a domestic abuse incident.  It was agreed that this clarification needed to be shared with schools and Debbie Smith agreed to undertake this. It was suggested that West Berkshire might be approached to share the outcome of their survey on Operation Encompass. (Action: Debbie Smith)

 

No 14. The issue around families being placed in inappropriate accommodation would be addressed within the Local Authority and outcomes/learning fed back to the LSCB. (Action: Thom Wilson)

4.

Safeguarding in Education 2018

Minutes:

Debbie Smith, Safeguarding and Inclusion Team Manager at Bracknell Forest Council presented the annual Safeguarding in Education report which included the annual Elective Home Education and Children Missing Education reports.

 

There had been a sharp incline in the number of fixed term exclusions, which was now starting to reduce. Alternative provision was working well in the local area. The number of permanent exclusions had increased during the year, having been low previously. The most common reason for exclusion was persistent disruptive behaviour.

 

Where there were concerns around primary pupils at risk of exclusion, Standards and Effectiveness Partners from the Local Authority would work with schools to address issues in conjunction with school improvement. 

 

Two Independent Review Panels (IRPs) had been held within the year, and both had been ‘quashed and redirected’. Learning arising from these Panels form the basis of training with Headteachers and Governors in the Autumn term. The most common issues raised by Panels were around undiagnosed SEN in excluded pupils, and the process around the exclusion decision taken by schools.

 

The Fair Access Panel continued to meet regularly to discuss children who were moving schools. During the year, 65% of young people referred for a managed move within secondary schools were moved to an alternative provision, or to the Pupil Referral Unit. At primary level, this level was 5%. Feedback from Headteachers indicated that Fair Access Panel was now a more efficient use of time.

 

Safeguarding arrangements in schools were strong, and it was noted that Section 11 processes had strengthened arrangements. Ofsted inspections during the year had found all schools to be effective in safeguarding.

 

Loudmouth Productions had been commissioned to deliver a safeguarding drama workshop with primary schools, and schools had been selected based on analysis of children who had been referred to MACE or SEMRAC.

 

All secondary schools now run LGBT drop-in groups, which had begun with input and training sessions from Mermaid UK.

 

The Designated Leads meeting continued to have good attendance, and representatives from neighbouring authorities and independent schools had been buying into the service to attend these meetings.

 

The outcome of a government review of Elective Home Education was expected in mid-June 2019. Bracknell Forest’s processes around EHE had been strengthened as far as possible but were limited by current legislation.

 

Children Missing in Education processes had been clarified and strengthened over the year, and a multi-agency panel met monthly to discuss these cases.

 

In response to questions, the following points were noted:

  • Exclusion guidance stated that academies did not have to have Local Authority representation at either the Governor Discipline Committee or Independent Review Panel. This had led to limited scrutiny in exclusions from academies, where the Local Authority had not been invited to attend.
  • The new Ofsted framework released in September 2019 would have an increased focus on exclusions and ‘off-rolling’.
  • It was noted that sometimes fixed term exclusion could be a positive contributor in a child’s journey, when coupled with support.
  • The Board agreed that it would be  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

Domestic Abuse 2018/19

Minutes:

The Board received the Domestic Abuse 2018/19 annual report.

 

It was noted that Nick Young had taken on DAPs line management, and a replacement plan was being developed to cover Karen Roberts’ area.

 

The data in the report covered Police data between 1 April 2018 and 31 March 2019, which was supplemented by MARAC and wider partner data. The report had been co-ordinated by the Domestic Abuse Executive, which was a subgroup of the Community Safety Partnership.

 

The challenges to the service remained the same, around funding arrangements and encouraging referrals.

 

The Board noted the importance of the cohort between 16 and adulthood which was included in the data.

 

The difference between a Domestic Abuse Incident and Crime was noted, whereby an incident had no crime associated and was often an argument or conflict. HMIC had stated that Thames Valley Police’s crime recording needed to improve, and this was being addressed.

 

The Board recognised that while a third of MARAC referrals came from partner agencies, this number was declining. The Board was keen for MARAC to be regarded as a partnership rather than a police process.

 

In response to questions, the following points were noted:

·        Nikki Edward requested that Jonathan Picken and Alison O’Meara from the Community Safety Team be invited to the training session for the Overview and Scrutiny Panel for Children Young People and Learning to explain the MARAC referral process.

·        Partners were reminded that the old DAPS function was now part of the Family Safeguarding Model.

·        The Board raised concerns around the range of domestic abuse support programmes run by the voluntary and community sector which appeared to be underused. It was suggested that this issue be raised with the Domestic Abuse Executive, and that Berkshire Women’s Aid be asked if they had noticed any change in the number of referrals (Action : Jonathan Picken)

6.

Family Safeguarding Model Update

Minutes:

Sonia Johnson updated the Board on the Family Safeguarding Model progress.

 

The Family Safeguarding Model had been running in Bracknell Forest for 18 months, which had included a 10-month embedding period. The model had resulted in a reduction in Child Protection numbers, and a reduction in pre-proceedings.

 

Partners were asked to help embed motivational interviewing techniques across Child Protection conferences and Child in Need meetings where they were in attendance.

 

Bracknell Forest LA had successfully embedded group supervision sessions, and any partner was welcome to come and observe a group supervision session, to give feedback, gain understanding and it was intended to involve partners in the process moving forward.

 

The financial sustainability of the model remained a concern, and partners were reminded that this is one of two safeguarding models were likely to be rolled out nationally.

 

It was agreed that a briefing on the model would be re-circulated to schools as a reminder. (Action: Rachel Morgan)

 

Jonathan Picken agreed to review the multi-agency training programme to include a refresher on the Family Safeguarding Model. (Action: Jonathan Picken)

7.

MAPPA Annual Report 2018

Minutes:

In Julia’s absence, the Board noted the MAPPA Annual Report and resolved to raise any queries directly with Julia Powers.

 

It was understood that Julia had raised concerns around Level 1 cases, which were low level offenders. Level 1 cases were not discussed at MAPPA meetings, but data showed that these offenders were most likely to reoffend and the number was increasing. The Board queried what could be done to resolve this and that Julia would be asked to update at the next LSCB. (Action Jonathan Picken/Julia Powers)

 

8.

JTAI Action Plan

Minutes:

Jonathan Picken advised the Board that the JTAI action plan was in development and would bring together multi-agency and single agency actions for monitoring purposes.

 

It was clarified that the inspection had not raised any Priority Actions, and single agency actions would be collated through the Local Authority to form the action plan. The draft Action Plan would be circulated to partners next week to review and populate.

 

Partners were reminded that the action plan needed to be submitted to Ofsted by 20 June 2019.

9.

Local Transformation Plan for Children and Young People's Mental Health and Wellbeing update

Minutes:

Thom Wilson updated on the Local Transformation Plan for Children and Young People’s Mental Health and Wellbeing.

 

There had been good multi-agency engagement across all partners. The LTP was currently focussed on Early Intervention/Prevention work with a recent workshop to develop and co-commission the offer/model. Current contracts to had been extended to September 2019.The group was also submitting an expression of interest to be considered for NHS England Wave 2 of the Mental Health support teams pilots which would be based in schools.

 

Partners were satisfied that the work felt positive, and the Board was pleased with the progress.

10.

Any Other Business

Minutes:

Debbie Hartrick reported that the Berkshire CCGs would be launching a Safe Sleeping film on 24 June 2019 which had been developed arising from conversations at CDOP with NHS England funding. The film had been made with London Irish rugby club and was aimed primarily at fathers.

 

Debbie also reported that the CCG were launching a Hidden Carers campaign on buses in East Berkshire throughout June 2019, with a helpline funded by Healthwatch.

 

Jonathan Picken reminded partners about the draft Threshold guidance sent out electronically for consultation and requested any feedback prior to publication.

 

Jonathan also commented that the Board had recognised that a co-ordinated response across partners in the context of a conversation between partners about a website promoting suicide would be discussed at the next CDOP meeting.

 

Jonathan commented that a FGM awareness raising poster had been developed, and encouraged partners to share where necessary. These will be circulates with the minutes and added to the LSCB website in order that partners can download them as a pdf file (Action: Jonathan Picken).

 

Jonathan also informed partners that the Community Safety Partnership were holding a session on 19 June to look at Police analysis of key data and to set their priorities for the year. It was important to have a connection between the Board and the CSP.

 

Alex Walters noted  that it was the last meeting for Lucy Cooke who is leaving BHFT, and the Board thanked Lucy for her support.

It was also noted that Karen Roberts had resigned from the Local Authority, and the Board wished to acknowledge and thank her for her significant contribution to the LSCB in her absence.

11.

Date of Next Meeting

Minutes:

12 July 2019

12.

LSCB Challenge Log 2018/19

Minutes:

The LSCB Challenge Log 2018/19 was noted

13.

LSCB Business Plan 2019/20

Minutes:

The LSCB Business Plan 2019/20 was noted.