Venue: Meeting Room FF11, Wokingham Borough Council, Shute End, Wokingham, RG40
Contact: Hannah Stevenson 01344 352308
Declarations of Interest
Members are asked to declare any disclosable pecuniary or affected interests and the nature of that interest, including the existence and nature of the party whip, in respect of any matter to be considered at this meeting.
Any Member with a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest in a matter should withdraw from the meeting when the matter is under consideration and should notify the Democratic Services Officer in attendance that they are withdrawing as they have such an interest. If the Disclosable Pecuniary Interest is not entered on the register of Members interests the Monitoring Officer must be notified of the interest within 28 days.
Any Member with an Affected Interest in a matter must disclose the interest to the meeting. There is no requirement to withdraw from the meeting when the interest is only an affected interest, but the Monitoring Officer should be notified of the interest, if not previously notified of it, within 28 days of the meeting.
There were no declarations of interest.
To approve as a correct record the minutes of the Joint Waste Disposal Board held on 26 January 2018.
RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting of the Board held on the 26 January 2018 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.
Arising on the minutes, the Board noted that:
Urgent Items of Business
To notify the Board of any items authorised by the Chairman on the grounds of urgency.
There were no urgent items of business.
To note progress in the delivery of the re3 Joint Waste PFI Contract.
The Board received a report briefing them on the progress in the delivery of the re3 Joint waste PFI Contract. The report covered:
· General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
· Re3GROW Compost
· Marketing and Communications Review
The Board was advised that:
Exclusion of Public and Press
To consider the following motion:
That pursuant to Section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, as amended, and having regard to the public interest, members of the public and press be excluded from the meeting for the consideration of the following item which involves the likely disclosure of exempt information under the following category of Schedule 12A of that Act:
(3) Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding that information)
RESOLVED that pursuant to Section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, as amended, and having regard to the public interest, members of the public and press be excluded from the meeting for the consideration of the following items which involves the likely disclosure of exempt information under the following category of Schedule 12A of that Act:
(3) Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding that information) (Item 7,8 & 9 of the agenda, Item 38,39 & 40 of the minutes).
re3 Strategy Report
To introduce and seek endorsement of the draft re3 Strategy.
The Board received a report which introduced and sought endorsement of the draft re3 Strategy.
The re3 Strategy 2018-2020 had two principle aims:
· Reduce the net cost of waste.
· Recycle 50% by 2020.
The re3 Strategy was set out in a similar format to previous re3 Strategies and looked at past performance, included information regarding what currently happened to waste and recycling, as well as focusing on the financial impact of waste.
It was requested that all Councils agree the re3 Strategy through their formal processes prior to the next Board meeting on the 6 July 2018.
Arising from the report it was noted that:
· Household growth needed to be captured and planned for now rather than in the future. Issues surrounding flats also needed to be addressed through planning control and planning policies so it was important that work was done with planning officers to ensure that developers included adequate recycling facilities in their planning applications.
· Concerns were raised about the size of Longshot Lane especially since there was a significant number of new housing developments in both Bracknell and Wokingham.
· It was discussed that a formal document could be sent from the Board to DEFRA.
i. Members endorsed the draft strategy objectives.
ii. Members recommend the re3 Strategy to the individual re3 Councils for adoption at the earliest convenient opportunity.
Food Waste Processing
To note information on Food Waste processing.
The Board received a report on food waste processing which provided the basis of discussion by the Board in relation to the provision of a food waste service.
Arsing from the discussion, the following points were made:
· Wokingham were putting food collection in place from April 2019.
· Concerns were raised about the impact of additional HGV truck movement at both Longshot Lane and Smallmead that will be needed to be able to receive food waste.
· Wokingham’s food waste collection would be using pod vehicles and the food pod would need to be emptied at the end of the day only.
· The Wokingham fleet would be 50/50 split for emptying purposes across the two sites and this would be regulated.
· The Wokingham food collection contractor was to be asked to present the three pod vehicle to be used in association with the Wokingham Contract at Longshot Lane so Board members could see better understand the operational impacts associated with the use of such trucks.
· Officers will be reporting back to the Board on the business opportunities, needs, costs, risks and options associated with such a service at a future meeting.
RESOLVED that Members noted the contents of the report.
Financial Management Report
To note the re3 Joint Waste Disposal Board on the Partnership’s current financial position.
The Board received a report briefing them on the Partnership’s current financial position.
i. Members note the Partnership’s financial position for the year to date.
ii. the senior officers at each Council be instructed to liaise with the respective re3 Board Members at each council on the decision to pursue a preferred option in relation to the Contract Savings Project.
Date of the Next Board Meeting
6 July 2018, 11am
The Board noted that its next meeting would be held at 11am on Friday 6 July at 11am. The meeting would be moved from Longshot Lane to the new Council Chamber in Time Square, Bracknell Forest Council.