Decision Maker: Executive Member for Culture, Delivery and Public Protection
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To seek approval
for the allocation of S106 funding (£60,000) to support
improvements to play and allotment facilities at York Road site in
i. £60,000 of S106 contributions is allocated to Binfield Parish Council as a grant to fund site works to improve play and allotment facilities at York Road site.
ii. the funding will be used solely towards the improvements listed above and the grant will be paid to Binfield Parish Council upon completion of the works by way of a single payment.
1. Developer contributions are collected through S106 agreements to support “providing, expanding or improving open space, and/or outdoor recreational facilities (which may include the acquisition and/or improvement of land and/or buildings and/or carrying out or assisting in the carrying out of nature/landscaping conservation projects) within 3 kilometres of the Site.”
2. The justification for requiring developers to support the improvement of open space and outdoor recreational facilities is given under point 8. Promoting Healthy Communities, The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), which states that:
“Access to high quality open spaces and opportunities for sport and recreation can make an important contribution to the health and well-being of communities.”
3. The borough council has adopted a Parks and Open Spaces Strategy (2012) and the proposed Binfield Parish Council project is in accordance with delivering the key borough objectives:
· Protect and establish public open space for recreation, play, sport, health, biodiversity, heritage and climate change adaption that is appropriate to need; strategically located; and adaptable to future requirements
Use and Enjoyment:
· Make sure public open space supports well-being; encourages participation; and facilitates social inclusion
4. The borough council has adopted the POSS Study which lists potential infrastructure improvement projects.
· At Chapter 6 para 6.46 replacement or refurbishment of play equipment is suggested at a number of sites including [6 other sites] and York Road Play Area (POSS site 160).
· Chapter 8 8.14 states that Binfield Parish Council had a preference to locate new allotments in Amen Corner North, Blue Mountain site and at York Road.
· Chapter 10, Strategy and Recommendations, at Table 10g lists possible projects including for York Road Pay Area:- revamp the play area and add parking, and, increase the number of allotments by creating allotments and/or a community garden.
5. Binfield Parish Council have a history of committed work to providing the public with open spaces including recreational facilities and as such would be considered as a suitable body through which to deliver S106 funded enhancements to mitigate development.
1. Not carrying out a project at York Road play area and allotments could lead to funds being returned to the developers, if no other qualifying scheme was located through which to deliver enhancements in the time available.
2. Not using s106 funding could result in a failure to mitigate the impact of development and a missed opportunity for 'providing, expanding or improving open space, and/or outdoor recreational facilities'.
3. The wide range of S106 contributions available in the borough have been assessed in order to eliminate those lying outside the distance constraints of the developments as set out in the respective s106 agreements.
Wards Affected: Binfield with Warfield;
Financial Impact: To be set out in the report.
Subject to Urgent Proceedings: No
Making Representations: In writing to the Director: Place, Planning & Regeneration
Other reasons / organisations consulted
Through Parish Office and Parish
Red Rose allotment holders
Contact: Stephen Chown, Head of Natural Estates Email: email@example.com Tel: 01344 351226.
Publication date: 24/02/2020
Date of decision: 24/02/2020
Effective from: 04/03/2020