Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Executive is asked to consider the
redevelopment of the Heathlands site to provide a 64 bed elderly
and mentally infirmed nursing home in partnership with the CCG
based on a business plan for the future operation of services on
i. the Council continues to work in partnership with the East Berkshire Clinical Commissioning Group and Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust to;
· develop the detailed design, progress a Planning application and procure a contractor for a replacement Heathlands facility.
· confirm Provider arrangements to enable a full assessment of risk/
ii. a further update on the proposal be received alongside its consideration of the proposed contractor appointment, including clarification of Provider arrangements, to ensure that the Council’s overall level of risk exposure is fully evaluated.
1. Council agreed at its meeting on 27 February 2019 to include a budget of £10.95m in the capital programme for redevelopment of the former Heathlands residential care home, subject to a business case being considered and approved by the Executive in March 2019.
2. The Business Case presented in this report includes the key strategic and financial considerations for the Council in developing such a facility to address the current shortfall in capacity for Elderly and Mentally Infirm (EMI) nursing and Health intermediate care beds on the site of the former Heathlands residential care home.
1. The Council could decide to sell the Heathlands site and generate a capital receipt. However, there is a covenant on the site restricting its use to adult social care which means it has limited financial value.
2. Selling the site to a private care home provider could result in a care facility being provided, however the Council would lose the ability to determine the nature of the facility, which client groups it would target and to place specific clients in it(particularly those with most complex care needs).
Reason Key: Affects more than 1 ward;
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Financial Impact: To be outlined in the Director's report.
Subject to Urgent Proceedings: No
Making Representations: In writing to the Director of Adult Social Care, Health and Housing.
Other reasons / organisations consulted
Contact: Simon Hendey, Director Email: email@example.com Tel: 01344 351688.
Report author: Stuart McKellar
Publication date: 19/03/2019
Date of decision: 12/03/2019
Decided at meeting: 12/03/2019 - Executive
Effective from: 20/03/2019